And cooks, and creates

My old knitting blog fell out of use when my professional blog took up my time (and Ravelry took over my knitting). I'm reusing it now as a place to keep creative notes & endeavours fresh and reachable for my own use.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

First of all...YAY! I won some Fleece Artist Wensleydale Top in Sherbet - 100g worth - because I donated money to the Dyana Afghan Women's Fund as part of my participation in the Tour de Fleece! I'd encourage you to take a look at the DAWF and consider donating some money their way - they are working to encourage women's literacy and eventually to give them opportunities to be more self-supporting through their handcrafts and other opportunities - their website is http://www.dawf.ca/ .

I've got two braids of Fleece Artist roving at home that are in my "oh dear lord I want to get to these SOON" pile; I can't wait to see just what color "Sherbet" turns out to be! The dye work that they do is just delicious. Yet another good reason to move to Canada :)

I'm doing some "wanking" knitting. Nothing big going on the needles, until I can get my stash sorted out & see what I have enough yarn to make. I did get some superwash merino from Tom - he brought me five skeins of a vanity lable yarn, I believe the actual manufacturer is in Canada but he got it from a shop in Cape Cod, MA. So far, I've tossed some of it on some size 2 needles to start up a pair of socks for daddy; the leg is going in a 4 X 4 rib pattern. I'll get an inch or so in, and decide if I want to keep going with it.

I'm a little over half of the leg complete for the second of the colonial blue socks for Scherz. Getting a ride to and from the office a few times a week gives me some good working time on these!

I also started working on the first felted bowl last night, with some worsted weight Paton's yarn on size 11 DPN's. It's clumsy feeling to have such heavy needles (they are the white thick ones) with such a light yarn. But we'll see how it plays out. It looks like it'll be a quick knit - five inches, then decrease & finish the bottom, then felt. It'll probably hit the machine this weekend. Then...well, then we'll see what it comes out like!

That's about it. It's just too damn hot to knit much of anything larger than a handful of yarn's worth. Fortunately tomorrow it'll be back down in the 90's.

Good grief, did I just say that?

No comments: